View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
lifeafter2am
Dojo: Shindai Aikikai
United_States
Re: Thinking about Aikido

Quote:
Jamie Gargett wrote: View Post
Hello this is my first post and I hope it is in the correct section.

I have played competative judo to a reasonable level for a number of years but feel it is time now for me to move on to something more permanent (for me judo is full on and as I'm 40 this year I am ready to begin something new as I have absolutely no interest in coaching kids which apart from masters competitions this would be the next step).

I have an interest in Aikido and from what I am informed there is a very good Yoshinkan club in the next town to me.

A few of questions please.

1. Will my judo gi be suitable for Aikido? (They are Mizuno Eurocomp)
2. From what I understand Aikido in the UK is more adult focussed rather than young person focussed like judo?
3. I have the usual judo player injuries reconstructed ACL (no problems since). Is aikido as hard on the body as judo and is it something to be practiced into the silver years?

Basically I enjoyed my judo a great deal but no longer want to compete, move into coaching or continue picking up injuries that heal a lot slower than they used to - is akido a good next step?

Most people I know who have left the judo mat have taken up golf which just aint me.

Thanks for your time.
1) I wear a Judo gi, so I don't think it would be a problem.

2) Can't answer that because I don't live in the U.K.

3) There are many a person who practice well into their silver years. There was actually a documentary on Aikido that showed many of the Hombu residents practicing who were well into their 80s. There are also youtube videos of people like Morihiro Saito Sensei Shihan doing demonstrations up to his 70's.

I would personally say that Aikido is probably a good next step, but 1) I am biased, 2) I never trained in Judo (BJJ is probably the closest I got, had a little Judo thrown in), 3) I am still a youngin'.

Good luck in your journey!

P.S. Golf isn't all that bad!

"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhattha Gotama Buddha