Old 11-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: "Everything You Know About Muscle is Wrong"

Quote:
Robert John wrote: View Post
Good to know someone out there gets it
Yeah, seconded. I don't see the criticisms really (I mean, yeah, sure, we can argue, but overall it was a good article and the author wasn't writing a comprehensive how to article). The article, in my mind at least, wasn't written as anything more than a discussion of an emerging and more nuanced view of what strength really is. It gave a few things to try in the process and as such I rather liked the article. And who knows what got lost "in translation" with respect to the author's examples (having been interviewed in the past it is always amazing how profoundly wrong the subsequent articles can end up being).

I think the single best part of the article was the point of considering the body is itself "one large muscle" in effect. The mental image of the connective tissue, fascia, etc. acting as a means of binding everything together into a interrelated whole is really an interesting way of seeing it. It makes a really wonderful point of allowing the reader to see beyond local muscle force and see how movement and power are really generalized across much of the body when done well.

There are always things to quibble about in details given, but I thought it was great to see this stuff discussed and taken seriously in a "popular" media format. No magic, no BS, just an attempt at a deeper understanding of something long misunderstood. And obviously directly related to a lot of discussions that have gone on here.