View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 05:29 AM   #18
Shany

Dojo: ISTA
Israel
Re: Did I create a new counter?

Quote:
Amir Krause wrote: View Post
Wow, Barvo for the graphics - simly great.

Well, it is sort of like I imagined in my last post. And so I can only repeat my comments:

Amir

For me, it does seem new, or rather, of the type of things I would not bother remembering afterwards (If I ever did something like that during Randori). Simply because Uke response in this case seems extremely limited and impractical to me:
a) I did not get from your description any Kuzushi from Uke, nor any attempt to blend, nor move out of the line of the attack? He blocked your hand once -- you can simply strike him again (A knife opens more options).
b) Uke let you remain in control of the hand? No wrist manipulation to turn the tables?
c) I would not try to Irimi-Nage a stable person going inwards, with a hand he has control over. If he is only as strong as me, I would be unlikely to succeed.

Each of these steps would have made your response much more difficult.

In any case, Kudus and compliments for responding in time, and intuitively, to Uke failure. That is not a simple step to go over (you did not write how long you have been training).
Well, you can say that during randori / test / real attacks on the streets, a lot of techniques will not come by so easily (aka: remembering) thus you must always to count on your sub-conscious mind (intuition) there for, if you train more about what you will do in randori you'll probably use them.

if you look in the web, for aikido demonstrations of randoris you will notice that, most of the uke's techniques are repeatable throughout the videos (kotegaeshi, irimi-nage, koshi-nage..etc) not much, and yet they all do it over and over and over, is it because training is focused only on the basics?

coming up with your own ideas (even if they exist, you wouldn't know it at the time) lets you think of situations at different aspect, this what i think (on top of basic/advanced techniques) what makes it worthwhile. blending and executing techniques with your own mind.

a) the Kuzushi (unbalancing) is the nage's part, not the ukes, since I attack you, i first must grasp your hand, thus i lost sort of balance. there is no tenkan performed here (you could, but that would lead to a different technique)

b) yes, if the uke to use wrist controls he would use a different techniqe (using tenkan or not). there are situations where ur hand is grasped (stationary)

c) once u block his punch/knife attack, his hand goes inward and you go fast into irimi nage

well, i guess its all part of learning stuff, either from the forum, or by your self, and as i said, sharing is the key element in aikido! why hide when u can share. and for your question, i've been aikido practicing almost a year now.