View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 06:52 AM   #26
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido and time

Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post
I think that in martial arts absolute (wall clock) time is pretty much irrelevant. The time that matters is determined by the rhythm of your interaction with your opponent.

If you can read you opponent in advance or force his move you will experience a plenty-of-time feeling, as if the opponent is moving slower than you. On the other side of such interaction you will have the sense of running-out-of-time with your opponent being faster and ahead of you.
i believed the term you want is "timing" not "time". Thinking of wave (as in sine and cosine waves and so on) in which one of my teachers is fond of using the terms: "in phase" and "out of phase". I rode motorcycle and had numerous accidents where the bike and i got in touch with the ground at relatively high speed.

reality: bike and i falling toward the ground
from my point of view: i got plenty of time. hey! i need to kick myself off the bike so it won't land on me. hey! there is the pavement coming up. hey! i need to tuck and roll. hey!......
reality: bike sliding and flipping along the street. me, rolling and rolling and rolling and sliding and flat out stopping
me: @#$@!@@!#
reality: damn! that hurts! that's going to leave a mark or two! damn! the bike will need fixing!
me: ukemi worked on the street! thank god! I got full protective gears on. slapping the street with your hands, even with leather gloves on, is stupid! got to stop doing that!
reality: those damn greek philosophers never rode a motorcycle in their whole life! I felt off the bike, therefore i hurt.

I agreed with Peter that translating from original language is fraud with dangers. time and changes to the cultures of the languages make translating quite challenging. there was a time that i didn't understand that point, but as time went on, it changed my view, and as such, time changed all things.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org