View Single Post
Old 11-12-2002, 09:27 PM   #5
Edward
Thailand
Knowing aikido history is a very interesting and exciting subject, but not necessary to the process of learning aikido.

As for DR, I have seen many videos and it looks very interesting as well, however, it seems that many of the contemporary DR techniques have been influenced by aikido and not the opposite as one would presume.

I personally believe that aikido as we know and learn it nowadays has been created and developed by the genius of 3 persons: Sokaku Takeda, Morihei Ueshiba and Kisshomaru Ueshiba. Even late footages of Osensei show great differences to our modern aikido. That's why I believe that even if we consider Osensei rightfully as the founder of aikido, we have to give credit to Sokaku Takeda for reviving an almost extinct martial art, and for Kisshomaru Ueshiba for giving aikido its modern form.

When I will have my own dojo one day, The shomen will feature the picture of Osensei in the centre, but also the pictures of the other 2 persons who played such a big role in the creation of aikido.

As for learning DR, I might be interested to participate to seminars occasionally, but learning aikido alone takes a lifetime, so I wouldn't want to complicate it further.