View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #113
DH
United_States
Re: Golden Center Aikido for your pleasure

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
It's a simple point. In Japanese budo - in Japan anyway which is where I live - you are taught to respect other styles and other budoka. This is a quote from the dojo rules of a koryu.

Shinbukan Kuroda Dojo Rules of Conduct

So if there are any derogatory comments they won't be from high-ranking budoka.
Oh Bull....
I have been in rooms with some of the highest ranked people out there. Their views and opinions about what has become a deplorable state of affairs in the Asian arts (JMA and ICMA) are very strong, even severe.
Again, budo is about an effective means to accomplish a goal. If you cannot deliver...the last thing you should be doing is advertising that fact in a video. Unfortunately, in the modern era, these gentle folks who continue to infect the Asian arts don't have a clue how truly bad they are. The good news (for them at least) is that they can avoid confronting their failures and lack of understanding and convince themselves they have achieved a level of understanding worth having.
All of this has contributed to ruining the reputation of the arts,
not helping them.

Budo was never this way. The entire sum of the history of budo was of being tested. Everyone goes on and on about the effectiveness of their teachers. Now we have to give every Mary and Johnny an "A" and tell them they are all equal so we don't hurt their feelings because they cannot perform or compete as equals to those who put in more time and did better work.
The martial arts have always had master class people who stood out against the budo wall paper. Never have I seen the wallpaper crying out to be equal of their betters...usually they just asked how to get better themselves.
Dan