View Single Post
Old 11-14-2003, 09:07 AM   #38
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Been giving further thought to this, and can only express feelings from a personal level, not from a detached analytical level. With that in mind, I do think that rank matters. I think it does for the very reason that Paul alludes to, as well as other reasons.

Having just recently tested, I can say without a doubt, that having tested and passed has helped me in many ways. It has helped to increase my confidence, which has been notoriously poor, and has helped me feel legitimate as a teacher with a small dojo. My aikido has probably gotten better too. It seems we always come up to our rank over time. Just this little test has made a big difference for me, and has made me less apologetic for having trained for so long and not having much rank, now I feel I am where I should be (weapons proficency or not).

Also, I can see it making a difference in my students once they test. I can see them move up to their levels, can see an increase in confidence, even if it means they just were able to get the guts up to go in front of the class and test. It has been a positive experience for me altogether.

Now, that said, of course if you start comparing people to each other, you are going to have problems and see inequities. Really, our ranks are measures of our own progress, not comparisons with other people.

Again, this is from my own experience, and I am sure other folks have different experiences....