View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #381
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Demonstrating aiki, demontrating aikido.Same thing ?

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post

Chris -- you have the riddle solved, too -- and all the descriptions and relationships laid out consistently and coherently -- you just don't name it.

I name it: "This is an elephant -- and what is more -- you men are NOT blind -- just open your eyes and look!"

But the only way we don't do another round of telephone -- with hardly anyone ever managing to do what everyone plainly says Dan does-- no matter how much they approve and marvel and and applaud his revival of the RealStuffs(tm) etc. etc. is to put this on a sounder footing -- and in objective terms that ties the demonstration down its to concrete, reliable, physical and physiological descriptions and repeatable sensations and actions -- and at each generation of transmission.

Failing that, we are all just starting the second stanza of the same sad hymn -- and the anguished refrain in twenty years time will be just the same.
I have no objection to putting things on a more objective footing, none at all. We do it all the time in training - but that doesn't go in the blog, you have to come here for that. In any case, I think that you really don't know what we're talking about here, and without that experience you have no basis to put anything on any kind of footing. As a couple of folks have pointed out, you're already making crucial misinterpretations of the original Japanese.

And with that, I'll step out of this conversation, it's kind of pointless, don't you think?

Best,

Chris