View Single Post
Old 12-05-2001, 09:29 PM   #24
wildaikido
Dojo: Hans de Jong Self Defence School
Australia
I think some misinterpreted my post.
Andy the fact that my instructors haven't got their shodans yet shows that they are not just after a belt. Don't you think if a nikkyu is teaching a class he would be capable of doing so? Also the school doesn't stress grading it is up to the person, if you have put in the time and can show the ability then you can go to advanced classes.
Grading doesn't take so long because people are crap it takes so long for completely opposite reasons. Our grading process is long and physically demanding. I train where self-defence is high on the list of priorities so you have to be able to defend your self against the worst-case scenario every time, that's multiple attackers constantly attacking and then when you are under pressure is when the grading really begins.
We also have exercise to develop timing, rhythm, breathing and ki extension. As with all Yoseikan schools the syllabus has more 'graded' techniques such as core "judo" techniques and as with other schools we have weapon taking and training. Last we have a large number of sutemi waza, 17 from sankyu to ikkyu that are also graded.
As I look through my file there are 8 A4 pages almost full from rokkyu to ikkyu in our syllabus and then I look at the copy of the Aikikai syllabus I have with the same font, it is two thirds of a page. Now this isn't said to say your crap and we are better, it's said to show why one spends so long training to achieve their shodan. I understand the theory and philosophy behind the Aikikai syllabus and I respect it.
Simply put if your after a belt then you chose the wrong school. That said in regards to the current poll after a few years 2 maybe, almost all of the students here could defend themselves in a self defence situation if need be, maybe not in a boxing match, that would take a little longer .

Graham Wild