View Single Post
Old 12-03-2001, 12:11 PM   #16
Arianah
Dojo: Aikido of Norwalk
Rastamon:
Quote:
it is funny to me to see that in most places rank is decided on time in rather than ability. . . rank is given when the teacher "decides you are ready" and there is no test of sorts, it is merely a presentation.
In many cases, the time one spends training is not the only deciding factor in one's grading (I can't imagine how it could be). One does have to test and show what s/he has learned, and if one is ready after that number of hours, s/he may test, but if s/he is not ready, s/he is not simply given a rank because the sensei has said "hey, you've been around a while--here, have a belt." If someone's sensei has done this, and holds a rank that s/he doesn't deserve yet, it will only serve as an embarassment to him/herself and his/her sensei. I think most often, though that if a sensei invites you to test, you are most likely ready for the next level. Sometimes sensei will give rank as a means of encouragement (which I don't agree with personally, but we won't get into that). But I think that most often, you will find that people (especially those who are not rank-hungry) are generally at or above the level that their belt indicates. It is sad to see rank given to those who don't deserve it, but just know that those who take their time and learn the techniques' subtle details will get much more out of their training, despite what color their belts are.

Arianah