View Single Post
Old 12-03-2001, 11:31 AM   #14
Rastamon
it is funny to me to see that in most places rank is decided on time in rather than ability. the reason i bring this up is because i was just attending a 2nd degree blackbelt presentation for <someschool> Aikido on saturday. in this system when one puts in the time required by the school, it matters not weather you can perform a technique correctly and effectively. rank is given when the teacher "decides you are ready" and there is no test of sorts, it is merely a presentation. this was all fine with me until the guy who was recieving his rank attempted to play aikido with his peers in which it was plainly obvious that his technique and stamina rivaled that of a beginner.
i can say that it is a shame to me to see that most people can progress through a system simply by paying their dues on time and showing up to class. as far as learning techniques, that seems to be something taken quite lightly. it seems some schools would rather give rank because you paid for it rather than because you have achieved a certain level of physical and mental conditioning which would allow for a very beautiful and effective form.
it is my opinion that to achieve rank in the martial arts (not just aikido) one should have a certain level of mental and physical conditionig in which the true art can be expressed to all.

Last edited by Rastamon : 12-03-2001 at 11:35 AM.