View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #145
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Demonstrating aiki, demontrating aikido.Same thing ?

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
We can talk about "ki" in almost mystical terms or we can talk about ki as in physical energy (or actually quite a few other things as well). The latter is vastly more amenable to a physics based discussion than the former, for instance.

Now me, personally, I do not agree with Erick's analyses. Not at all. I've been on the mat with a lot of very good people, felt it in person, and being of a scientific background myself very little of what Erick writes, with all due respect, rings true for my direct experiences of it and subsequent training of it, whatever that "it" is. *That said*, I fully respect his attempt. I fully respect his approach. I think it he got out on the mat with some of the so-called "big dogs" and tried some of what he's saying he might change his course a bit. But... I have zero problem with him trying to formulate his theories and approach. And it's not to say that much of what he's talking about isn't good and interesting either. I just don't think it cuts to the heart of what's really going on, at least in my experience, my training, and my background as well. But more power to him.
Science proceeds by close observation and repeatedly taking the chance to make surmises that may well be usefully and carefully -- wrong. And then doing it again, and again ... etc. etc.
And when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be true.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.