Thread: Time for change
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
JLRonin

United_States
Re: Time for change

Today I took time to go to "a park (open public space)" and do some misogi and meditation and reflect a bit more on this post and the few comments so far. I knew that it was going to be a bit touchy.
For all of you that are a bit mesmerized by this post, I think I should give more food for thought without implicating or offending anyone.

Imagine being a dedicated student for 3,4,5 +years and then something went wrong along the line and your thoughts and plans and ideas just didn't work out or went side ways. Or you were done wrong in one way or another. You say ok, now I don't want to go to another dojo because you just don't feel its the quality Aikido you were getting, or there is a bit of friction with the people there from prior incidents. and your stuck, no where to go.

You move to explore other dojos. You may not like atmosphere or may not want to convert to a new "system" or organization because you have already adapted to your Aikido.
Thank God I had the privilege to meet some wonderful, understanding and compassionate people in my path.

I was a regular deshi at a specific dojo where I felt really at home. God Bless that Dojo. I felt that I had no need for advancement in rank or grade. just the pure love of practice for personal advancement. Mentally, physically and spiritually. and the fees were very, very modest. and it was very close to my residence. too bad I decided to move. Sorry Sensei.

At one dojo I visited I felt like I didn't fit in and felt a bit of envy and repulse from some of the students. I was visiting and paying a mat fee every time. didn't want to join because of financial reasons and reasons aforementioned. Also the Sensei had made it clear that he has his "system " in place.
At another dojo I felt kind of OK but it was too expensive and the commute was not feasible.
At other dojos I felt like I was not getting anything out of it.
Another person tried to impose his "system" on me.
When you reach a certain age or plateau in life you start not caring for "status". just self development and/or improvement.

In my opinion, sticking to one organization is OK for advancement in rank or grade. it makes it easier for those who have that mind set. Other systems or dojos want to continue a monopoly.

"One does not need buildings, money, power, or status to practice the Art of Peace. Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train
'. The Art of Peace. page 14.
I like to call it "The Martial Art of GOD" Julio L. Ruiz.