View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #18
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States
Re: Can you truly understand budo without training in Japan?

Quote:
Peter Boylan wrote: View Post
That it is far more than a simple system of combat. It is a means for self-development and understanding.
First of all, that's what it is for you. Maybe it is something different for someone else. Second, I think most Westerners are quite aware of the fact that most budo were intended by their founders to be more than simple systems of combat.
Quote:
Without an understanding of the background of a Way, it is pretty much impossible to get everything worthwhile that can be gained from practicing it.
Everything that you find worthwhile, you mean. What is worthwhile is subjective, and different people are looking for different things out of their training.

Quote:
Oisin Bourke wrote: View Post
Correct training using kata for one thing. Japanese people understand this better than foreigners because it's used as a teaching tool from the time they are children. As Peter said, it's by no means impossible but it takes extra effort for non-Japanese to practice in this method.
Can you explain what you mean by "correct" in this context, or give an example? I'm not sure I understand.