gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States
Re: "The goal is not to throw"

Quote:
Gregory Gargiso wrote: View Post
Greg

I dont know where I just read it ,
and it maybe way off topic of thread, but a "reaction" to an action is what comes from a person naturally based on their experiences in this world. A "response" would be a trained or educated "reaction" not just instinct, based on training or new experiences. So a newborn, in theory, would not "fight" because it has no experience or knows what this is. (See Sparta)
I know that you know that the "freeze up" reaction can be conditioned right out of people .
I am just saying that there was some degree of cooperative training involved in getting them their.
So if someone did not cooperative and teach me koshinage ukemi ...... slowly.... I would be in a hospital bed with a broken neck or dead....
Different arts doi it with varying degress of speed and intensity according to understanding age and athleticism, but it has to be there
Never said cooperative training was not useful - but it has its limits in producing real effectiveness.
As to the response/reaction thing - well, I understand the difference and one or the other can probably be affected by training and or some sort of conditioning. However, I also think we are born with certain instincts that initially mold our conditioning aptitudes. Just my opinion, and of course, YMMV

Greg