View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #115
DH
United_States
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

The opener was to you, the rest was discussing different points made by different people.

I'm not sure why you believe you are disagreeing with any of my points.
I made an argument that IP was known in Japan. I gave reference to Koryu scrolls I know of. I have personal experiences with it being discussed in three koryu. My argument was that it was not well known or practiced. Thats what I stated.
You just repeated it back to me!

The Chinese method over the Japanese being reduced to whos the best.
You are obviously talking to the wrong person. I didn't reduce the argument to individual players, Mike did. I responded to that. When he continued I responded with equally absurd cases to prove how absurd these comparisons are. As you are continuing to reduce the discussion to individuals (this time Chinese players), maybe you should continue to take your points up on individual players with Mike and not me. I've no interest beyond countering how ridiculous it is.

I...have no interest in a personal "who" is the best as it goes nowhere.
Your... discussion of who's the best, was a repeat of what we discussed at your table with Josh there. At the time the discussion was over Mike, Ark, me, Ushiro, Ikeda etc. My argument was that it will lead nowhere.
What parameters do we use?
Information vetted by whom?
Based on what authority?
If you think the people under discussion are all experts, and anyone here can accurately judge...then go for it.
Quote:
The only way we will find out if the Japanese - specifically Daito-ryu - is limited compared to this or that Chinese system is when each puts all their cards on the table, and methodologies can be clearly compared.
1. As for laying things on the table, here?
To be judged by who? I see no experts here qualified to make a judgement on this topic. I have spent quite a bit of time debating this topic with someone I now know was never really able to demonstrate his self described deeper knowledge had any real value over what was already in the public domain and that many could actually use better. Why waste even more time?

2. As for laying things on the mat to be judged.
I will leave that for the mat. I am sure I will continue to meet experts of all types. FWIW, It is well in keeping with Budo that when you discuss an idea you be able to demonstrate and prove your ideas on the spot. If a person can't personally deliver and/or has no students who can deliver, he has no part in the discussion as far as I am concerned. A coach has a winning team or you can have all his theories.

As for just talking:
This is fun, don't get me wrong, but that's all it is to me, just fun.
I'm more interested in what happens ten years out, when the strong personalities in the debate have left the building or become less important. Lets see then what these current supposed experts and internet pundits pulled off where it counted...Teaching.
All the best
Dan

Last edited by DH : 08-01-2011 at 12:33 PM.