View Single Post
Old 06-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #165
gdandscompserv

United_States
Re: Meaning of Competitive?

Thank you for those thoughts George. I always enjoy your perspective on things.
This has been a point of confusion for me since I began my path of American aikido. In Japan the "rules" are quite clear and people rarely challenge them but it is different here in America and even more different on a forum.

Your point:
"Once we are in person, then we deal with each other based on the reality of what we each know. I don't mean being disrespectful, but someone's skill will speak for itself in person. I am always respectful, but deference is earned."
is well taken.
Let me ask you some questions. Should we show the same deference and respect to you while we are socializing in a bar after class as we would while in the dojo? Should I respect or defer to someone simply because of their rank or the number of years training? Very individual and situational if you ask me. Let's imagine someone with exquisite aikido technique, many years of experience and high rank, yet they treat me like garbage? Am I obligated to respect/defer to them? I don't feel that way.

Regarding "opinions," I don't take any of them too seriously and most importantly not my own. After all, "One man's folly is another man's wife." If I was worried about looking silly I would never have taken up aikido. I sometimes feel silly and I'm sure I look silly on regular basis. I don't mind. I think it's very much a part of learning aikido.
In the end though, I agree with you in that we could all show each other more respect. The world as a whole would be better off.