View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States
Re: Long road vs short road to ki power (aiki, internal strength...)

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote: View Post
Fred,

Okay but SOME of the questions can be something like:

Has this person ever injured you? Please describe:
Has this person ever thrown you into someone else injuring that person? How many times?

I can see where your point needs to be considered for something along the lines of:

Are you allowed to grow at your own pace? (We are not training aikido folks to go out into combat by a certain date.) Or something like: is this person negatively impacting your growth by being over-the-top judgmental/hyper critical on your performance?

Seems like if we put our heads together we could come up with a list of things that pissed us off at seniors we hated, and then turn that into a list of telling questions to try to avoid such people getting authority.
Rob, quite seriously, these are important questions and need to be thought about and talked about. Even so, I know just enough about qualitative research methodology to know that there's almost no way to develop a sound evaluative instrument that provides a robust sample and also protects respondent anonymity in a typical dojo setting.

I think that best practices can be identified and shared usefully, but I have real doubts about their universality or the extent to which they can be codified.

Best,

Fred