View Single Post
Old 12-24-2002, 02:47 AM   #3
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
I wish I know...

Broke 2 of my bokkens already:
  1. I lent one to a junior and asked him to do a proper defense against yokomen-giri. I did the yokomen with my other bokken and broke the one I lent to him. He did the proper defense, therefore he wasn't hurt at all. Just my disappointment in my own control.
  2. The second one I broke while demonstrating the shin-shin-toitsu type demonstration where one does a shomen-giri to the bokken held in chudan-no-kamae by the other partner. When I used natural movement (ki), I was able to drop my uke's bokken. But then I demonstrated using physical force and broke my bokken.
I taped both bokkens and still use them for suburi, but no longer for partner practice.

The point is, when both of the bokken broke in half, I noticed that it was really porous and dry inside. Was this due to the type of wood? Or maybe I wasn't taking care of it properly.

I put all of my bokkens inside a golf club bag. Not the big partitioned one to carry a complete set, just the small unpartitioned one where you carry a few of them. Inside I carry 3 bokkens (2 of them broken but taped up), 1 suburi-tou, 1 shinai, 1 jo, and a tanto.

I keep all of my weapons inside that bag when I'm not using them.

Last edited by Thalib : 12-24-2002 at 02:51 AM.

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/