View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #43
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Benefits of the Aikikai

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
What I see is the return to that type of structure but with the difference that these organizations or associations will interact more, encourage more cross training, and I hope, being smaller, will encourage a higher quality standard than large organizations have been able to do.
I hope so too, but I also hope you're not being over optimistic. The track record to date (not just in Aikido) tends to make me skeptical.

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
While I am sympathetic to Chris's desire to rid ourselves of a ranking system that doesn't really mean much, I do not see large scale abandonment of tests and ranking. In general most people want to feel as if they are progressing towards something. Arts such as the various Koryu or Systema which do not have ranks but simply have certain levels of instructor certification are generally very small communities with nothing like the total numbers doing Aikido. I think any dojo deciding going that direction will necessarily be small. Nothing wrong with that but many dojos simply will not choose that option. Personally, I doubt that I could keep my doors open with the number of students that I've have if we went that direction. Various experiments with pass fail or no grades at all back in the 60's and 70's found the same thing... people wanted a measuring stick.
I don't see any large scale abandonment happening either, but I do think it would be worthwhile.

You've put your finger on it though - it's the commercial aspect that really makes such a thing unfeasible. But a lot of that is also how expectations are managed.

Best,

Chris