View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 01:29 AM   #14
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: No Throws Aikido

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post

That sounds like Asai sensei as I know him.
He is very gentle with beginners. (As most high gradet teachers are ...) But his working on ukemi is famous over here.

Well:

In over 16 years I never (!) experienced a beginner injuring his or her shoulder. Never. (what does "shoulder separation" mean? Don't find it in my dictionary but sounds heavy.)
There where three shoulder injuries in those years. All of them by very experienced uke when nage stepping on their hakama.

Teaching and practicing ukemi is part of every class. Even when teaching the advanced students.
The problems, you describe, Janet, are well known, aren't they?

Carsten
Well, I must say that your experience would be atypical. Shoulder injuries are certainly one of the most common Aikido injuries. The main cause for beginners is rolling incorrectly and landing on the shoulder. Many adults have this problem but it isn't bad enough to cause a shoulder separation, but it does cause them to quit before they really get very far.

Later on, incorrect shomen attacks, yokomen attacks, way too forceful ikkyos, etc all can cause shoulder injury. I had my shoulder separated when I was a San Dan when my partner dropped me on my shoulder. So going all that time without ever seeing a shoulder injury... I don't think that's representative. I have seen quite a few.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com