View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 02:29 PM   #27
Eric Joyce
Dojo: Budoshingikan
United_States
Re: Would you teach this knife technique?

Quote:
Gregg Block wrote: View Post
Krav Maga has the best philosophy for dealing with a knife attack in my opinion. Block, get off line ,hit your opponent hard and do all at the same time if possible. Trying to grab the weapon and disarm without striking is suicide. You need to stop the second stabbing attempt from happening if you are fortunate enough to stop the first. A better philosophy is to run and avoid this kind of situation if at all possible. If that means giving up your money and some pride so be it. In the scheme of things a small price to pay
Hey Gregg,

I agree. I have a Krav Maga background and still train in it. Before I started with Krav Maga, I had the aikido and jujutsu background. What opened my eyes and surprised me were the knife techniques. We would practice with fake knives, then we would try out these knives called Shock Knives (a little electrical shock to mimic the feeling of being cut) It didn't hurt, but you know when you got cut. Then the instructors would put on there bullet men out fits and we would do real attacks (usually involving verbal de-escalation drills and woofing/smack talk to try to intimidate you). It was challenging yet fun.

What I learned was that you can still use aikido techniques in those situations, but the key, as you have stated, is the use of strikes/atemi. Be it an elbow, fist, heel palm, knee, whatever, this is key in being able to position yourself so you can execute a technique. It's nice to see a kata osae shoulder pin in action or a hiji shime be put on

I still think the knife techniques in aikido have their place. I believe incorporating other ways of attacking with a knife opens up those possibilities.

Eric Joyce
Otake Han Doshin Ryu Jujutsu