View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 10:42 PM   #20
DonMagee
United_States
Re: If you disagree with your instructor's explanations...

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
Hi Michael,
I did it already long time ago, when I searched for right teacher To these days nothing changed - he can still do whatever he decided to do - there is simply not openings Such teachers are very precious and rare. I understand you didn't find one. Please try harder!
I guess I've never met anyone who has no openings. Because if I know what is coming, I know example what to do to make life difficult for that person. For example, if I know you want to grab my wrist, I'm going to be apprehensive and pull my wrist away when you try to grab. This means no commitment in my strikes.

I'm of the opinion that a good martial artist does not make the technique he wants to do work, he adapts himself to what his partner/opponent is doing and finds a way to get the desired result (uke on the ground, uke unconscious, etc). It's not about doing X technique, it's about the desired result. If I tell you i'm going to throw you with O'soto gari and you resist, I'm not going to keep trying that technique, that goes against the principles of judo, instead i'm going to use your resistance and throw you harder with a different throw. Then when you get up all made that I told you O'soto, I'm going to laugh my ass off.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein