View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
DonMagee
United_States
Re: If you disagree with your instructor's explanations...

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
Hi Joep,
Don't forget, we are doing martial art, it is not a class of philosophy or how to discuss ideas.Whatever works phisically - you can't argue.If you disagree with some interpretation of technique, but instructor still can throw you, it simple means that your judgement is wrong.Face this brutal reality like a men

Normally instructor is more experienced then you, so he must have a skills to backup his teaching.If he hasn't - un out of his dojo screaming
You can counter a technique because it has at least one opening, and not because you know what is coming.So countering a technique will display this opening, however even then, not every instructor will see it

I know that it is very difficult for instructor ego, when his student can reverse his technique - but it is the only way for them to improve understanding of aikido .
This is not entirely true. I can out box a lot of people, but to claim they should come learning boxing from me would be silly. I don't know the first thing about boxing. I know plenty of guys who because of their size and build can take me down with single leg takedowns that would make even the worst highschool wrestler cringe. They are not qualified to teach those takedowns simply because they work on me. A true test of skill is not defined by a single encounter. A good technique works no matter the size, strength or skill of the attacker.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein