View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 08:42 PM   #13
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea
Re: What makes a style?

Peter, are you referring to the Iwama Ryu listing on the Aikiwiki or something else?
I haven't studied "Iwama Ryu" style of Aikido, but have met many folks that have. I also have a book and series of videos by the Two Crane dojo folks in New Jersey who are of the "Iwama Style". Both the book and the video series are excellent examples of Aikido.
I do know that the Iwama dojo itself is part of the Aikikai and is run by Isoyama Sensei. There are many different approaches by several different organizations under the Aikikai to include Nishio Sensei (who was always part of the Aikikai) and Kobayashi Yasuo Sensei.
Hirohito Saito Sensei split from the Aikikai and has started his own organization. In this split, you can say you have a different style of Aikido under the new organization's discretion.
I do agree with you that differing interpretations of various techniques by various instructors do not necessarily make a new "style" of Aikido. However, several people specify their instructors style to lend credence to themselves.
I think people make this distinction themselves, and create or perpetuate the separation from other "styles" to make themselves feel special or unique in their own practice. It could also be interpreted as a defense mechanism to isolate themselves for critics of the broader style. For example, "You don't think Aikikai style Aikido is effective? but we practice Soandso Sensei's style and it is very effective". I think you can get the picture.
Before too many people jump on my reply, this is just an example or theory as to why folks might make the style distinction within the broader context of a larger umbrella style. I personally don't make that distinction. I practice Aikikai style, even though my organization falls under the Kobayashi dojos tutelage, and my own Aikido in heavily influenced by many different interpretations of Aikido....