View Single Post
Old 11-18-2003, 02:56 PM   #85
kung fu hamster
Hi Paul,

Yes, I do remember reading somewhere that Kano sensei developed the ranking system, I was talking ‘before' in the sense of a couple hundred years ago or even further back. In fact, in thinking about what I posted I do agree with you that rank and commitment are not always related, I guess I was talking more generally from the standpoint that someone could look at a nidan or sandan and infer that there had been some certain level of commitment to training, enough to get to this point anyway, as opposed to the junior kyu ranks. I certainly think there are blackbelts who simply quit after they get the rank, so yes, higher rank and commitment don't go hand in hand as I hastily wrote. If you look at many people who are my junior in rank at our dojo, their aikido technique and ukemi is far superior to mine, they may show a greater level of commitment than me, yeah, you're right there, rank and level of commitment may not always correspond, but generally speaking I think that I am going to get a level of aikido instruction from a yondan that I wouldn't expect from a shodan. Could be an erroneous expectation, like you said, I'm not exactly talking in absolutes here.

"The worst thing one can say about a bjj instructor, worse even than they are abusive, is that they "hold back". That is to say they deliberately choose not to show all aspects of the art. Loyalty and committment go both ways. If an instructor ever "holds back" from me, I will not give them my loyalty or my money. An instructor is still flesh and blood, not an exaulted entity, there's no reason to treat them as such."

Well ok, if you say so, but even though a teacher may give the students all he's got, I'm pretty sure a regular student does not get the same level of instruction that the uchi deshi's are getting. I'm not resentful about it, I understand in my own limited way, why a teacher structures things that way, and if a student didn't offer that level of commitment to the teacher, why should the student expect that level of commitment from the teacher?

"Further, you seem to be suggesting that instructors only have an obligation to the talented and the gifted....or those willing to submit entirely to the beliefs of the instructor. I'm not sure either is healthy."

I don't think teachers have obligations only to the talented and the gifted, I was thinking more along the lines of ‘committed and loyal to the art', as in possible inheritors of the system that the teacher is trying to impart, hopefully for future generations to enjoy and improve on. Why does a teacher teach? Just to make money? Some do. Ego? There's some of that too. I'm very thankful that the Ueshiba family decided to spread aikido to the West, if it weren't for the teaching system that was used I'm not so sure I would be able to train today with the teachers that I have. My teacher explained about the word ‘keiko' -- the kanji have some meaning of reflections of the past in the sense that we practice today with the same spirit, intensity, integrity, etc. that practitioners did hundreds of years ago (or whatever time frame, I hope you can tell what I'm saying). I realize that I speak from my point of view with the ‘ideal' situation I have, I do understand that there are some teachers out there who charge inordinate amounts of money and some who are not entirely on the up-and-up, in such case, where does one point the finger? Sometimes even a great teacher is mistaken too, they are human, if a student they promote has character flaws that they overlooked, it isn't always a problem of the ranking system. It takes a long time to get to know someone and some of the ways how they are (traits), that's what I ultimately think. Anyway, these are just more ramblings, thinking out loud. A couple of months ago my teacher said to me (really harshly!), "Linda, I know you have a lot on your mind, but do you have to VOMIT it all over everybody else?!" Don't you pity my poor teacher?

Last edited by kung fu hamster : 11-18-2003 at 03:03 PM.