View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
mrlizard123
Dojo: Templegate Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Is there enough practice for 'real life' in Aikido?

Quote:
Edward Sudall wrote: View Post
Hi everyone I'm new to Aikido and Aikiweb so I thought I might make good use of my account.
One must consider that against, say a typical karatedoka's kicks do we have enough practice to defend against it. I know kick defence techniques exist but how often are they practiced at your Aikido dojo, not being 'essential' to Aikido training? Basically are they practiced enough?
Welcome to Aikiweb!

It seems this is a variation of a common question along the lines of if Aikido is appropriate for "real life" protection/self defence/fight/against another MA/etc.

These topics have been widely debated and I think that the answers are; Yes, No and Maybe - take your pick

The answer is specific to each person's specific training regime.

It's a divisive subject and has spawned a seemingly un-killable thread over here along with quite a few others...

I'm of the opinion that whether something is "effective" or not is very much affected by the artist more than the art; so whether we can respond effectively to a karetka's kick is an individual question I think.

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile