Old 12-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #28
Melchizedek

Dojo: Phil. Aikikai/Santiago Aikido Club
Philippines
Re: How much do you train??

Quote:
Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Well...that's your view. That's how you see it, and I know that others like to view their entire existence through the aikido paradigm, where you believe that your every thought or action is somehow aikido training. I don't see things that way, nor do others, and I think that that difference needs to be acknowledged in order for a discussion to be at all useful -- otherwise you've got one person who says "I train six hours a week" and another who says "I train 24 hours a day, every day", when in fact both of them are doing the exact same thing in terms of how they spend their time. I don't know exactly what OP was looking for in asking the original question (maybe just to get an idea of how much time spent in training, oops, I mean on the mat, is optimal), but somehow I don't think it was to find out who could do the best Yorkshireman sketch about their aikido "training".
point

Quote:
"I get up and start training at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I go to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid as a form of misogi, practice tai sabaki twenty-nine hours a day as I work my job at the mill, and when I get home, my spouse tests my zanshin by walking into the room unexpectedly as I prepare dinner. Oh, and two or three times a week I go to class."
well thats funny ^^...

Always and always,
Pour yourself into technical training
To face the multitude as if it were one
Is the Way of the Shugyo-sha.

- Morihei Ueshiba

cheers!

Last edited by Melchizedek : 12-23-2009 at 09:03 AM.