View Single Post
Old 10-26-2000, 01:00 AM   #4
Kevin73
I have read the article, and I think that Lowry was making a good and valid point. I have heard it more recently concerning jujitsu. But, that is karate people don't know what their techniques can really do because they don't practice them full out on an uncooperative person. They think that their punch can stop a person cold but they really don't know. I think the same goes for aikido as well, I have seen many posts talk about the need for realism in training. He's right about a kote gaeshi, when it's done we know how to break fall to prevent injury, but an untrained person doesn't and will try to fight the technique. I've worked with many people in my style of karate who knew breakfalls and it is almost annoying when they go with the technique and roll with it or go down because I know it won't happen that way on the street. It is very hard to determine if the technique was done well or if they are just working on rolling at the moment.
To me that was the point of his article, all martial artists need some method of feedback where they can practice their techniques as they were designed to be done. And have correct feedback to make the changes necessary. I don't think it was a slam against aikido/karate it just used those as examples of a common dilema facing martial arts in general.