View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
NagaBaba

Re: Teachine outline needed

Quote:
James McDermott wrote: View Post
Hi all,
I was wondering if someone could post or recommend a teaching outline. Both daily and yearly, heres what im looking for.

1- A good breakdown of a class.
- Warmup
- Meditation
- Techniques
- Warmdown
2- Yearly, What im looking to do with a class for the long run. Meaning what to work on to build certain skills and techniques.

Sorry for being so direct...
Thank you,
As Janet wrote, 'meditation' is in wrong place.
I'd start with weapons training 10-15 minutes. There are many reasons for that, one is the weapons give you right spirit for practice.
Then warmup - I agree with Janet, avoid stretching completely. 10 minutes intensive workout to really warm body(with jogging, jumping, pushups...etc). If you don't know how to do it, look at judo warmup, it is a good start.
Then go for techniques.
In the end it is right time to stretch.

First you need to have regular testing time over a year(you or your instructor). It gives you time frame to prepare your students to test.
Second, you should teach minimum two basic techniques per class.
Third, you should teach principles, not techniques. The techniques are simply the tools to develop correct body conditioning of your students.If you are not able to do it, you should'nt be teaching.

Also you need some kind of environment to give your students opportunity to learn application of techniques - it can be jyu waza(with single or multiple attackers).

Teaching meditation it is a separate subject in separate class.

hope it helps.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo