View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #74
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: "Discrimination".

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Do all Jews not buy German cars, then? How many years after WWII would you expect a significant number of Jews to hold a grudge against Germans and not buy German cars? Fifty years? 100 years? 150 years? When would be a good time to move on? Ever? Never? Marc, I'm going to take that one personally, too. What is my history that you know it and judge it and make public comment upon it?

Mike Sigman
Mike:

I own an Audi and a Porsche. A rabbi whom I respect, has been talking about Jews needing to create a positive identity beyond the WWII. Once again, there is no absolute. You might find it easy to find a convenient number of years or dollars if we only look at the issue from an intellectual perspective. There is no right or wrong answer to that. I know survivors and survivor families who are doing well. I have worked to help others whose second generation bears the scars.

German Jews had mostly intact, multi-generational family structures which can be a huge help. Then again, look at the Hasidic community. The strong family structure has not exactly been all that helpful in many areas. We know that multi-generational family structures typically help. Imagine the added impact when there is no stable family structure?

If you are Jewish, I would assume that you do take this example personally. Heck, 1/2 of one side of my family was wiped out. What is so wrong with dealing with issues at a personal level. If I am not mistaken, you are a Vietnam vet.. If I am correct, that experience is personal and has helped to shape who you are. Nothing wrong with what has made us who we are, whether negative or positive. It certainly places a lot of who we are and what we believe in a perspective that goes beyond what sterile ideas can ever convey.

You raise topics that raise heckles in people and then you seek to keep the topic at an "intellectual" level. What should we call this process? If you want to discuss issues that involve real-life experiences (thoughts, feelings, behaviors...) it seems disingenuous for you to selectively choose only one part of the human experience that you would like to deal with when "discussing" these topics. Ivory tower discussions are simply that. Maybe you should then raise topics that can easily remain there?

Marc Abrams