View Single Post
Old 09-20-2004, 01:57 AM   #19
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Re: and wing chun doesn't win...

Quote:
Josh Palmer wrote:
Finally someone besides me realizes this! I have started another thread on experinces with aikido in real life to see what works against someone who is trying to beat you up or worse. All i got out of this was...nothing. No one gave me an answer but instead tried to convince me that you do not use aikido techniques, but simply React to an attack, flow, etc.
That is correct. A technique is a by product resulting from your movement combining with that of your attacker. If you go with the intent of doing technique first you are fighting, this is not Aikido.

Quote:
Josh Palmer wrote:
They say the key to aikido is more of a spiritualized thing over being a style of self defense. I think every martial art ever designed was meant to help you fight.
If you read up on Aikido, you will find that it most definately was created by the founder on a Spiritual plane. His ideas were to use the practice of techniques as misogi, purification of the body. It certainly wasn't designed to fight.

Quote:
Josh Palmer wrote:
Samurais used aikido.
Err, no they didn't. They may of used Aiki jitsu or ju jitsu techniques, but Aikido as developed by O Sensei wasn't actually formulated until the 1930 - 1940's. I believe the term Aikido was first used around 1942.

Quote:
Josh Palmer wrote:
If aikido wasnt meant to do certain things at certain times then why do certain techniques hurt? Crank sankyo on someone and drop them. That is a technique to be trained alive and put into a good fighting system of self defense. I think if you trained the techniques of aikido "alive" you could most certainly use some of them.
Back to combining body movement. It's about moving your body so that you move with the attacker, the attacking body then gets sucked in with you. This will allow you to unbalance your attacker, once that has been done you will find that your attacker will either continue to fall or struggle to recover, it's his weight falling that causes the pain, not me cranking a sankyo.

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"