View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #47
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Painless Techniques and Learning Aikido

Quote:
Larry Novick wrote: View Post
Hi Joe (Mr Curran...) - It depends. My style is completely dependant, and always has been, on what these days people here are calling "internal training/skills" (although trained in a different manner than what is sometimes espoused here) so unless I'm spaced out, which can certainly happen (pizza etc....), they won't normally be able to affect me in that manner. In "simple terms" my "Ki is extended" and hard joint locks won't work. This is basic stuff in (at least older) Ki Society training - although I am not Ki Society. In my style, we call it being "ACEed Up" (the Awareness of being Centeredly Extended) and for us it is a good dynamic state to practice Aikido from.

That being said, if something does "get past me" then we look at why their technique hurt. Either they meant it to, or they didn't and they performed it incorrectly. Either way, I dissect it for them so they can see how to do it without any pain (and there is always a way.) Then, if they actually meant to do it, which doesn't happen with any of my regular students, I have a talk with them.

It happens that people's techniques hurt - it's feedback that they need to be shown how to do it correctly (in my style.) It is all a learning process.

By the way, we do all the "normal" Aikido techniques except elbow locks against the joint, and Shomen ate from the chin.
Dear Novick Sensei,
I am interested in your comments here in particular the last
couple of paragraphs when you say that should someones waza cause pain , you dissect it for them so they can see how to do the waza without pain.I have a problem here with this explanation inasmuch the person doing the waza might well be doing it correctly while at the same time Uke may not be respondng to the actions of Nage.
It seems to me that you are putting the onus primarily on Nage.
If Nage is a 'Bad boy' and he cranks it on intentionally you take him to one side and give him a fatherly chat.Incidentally what course of action do you take if BadBoy ignores your chat?
At the same time if Nage does a good waza correctly and Uke screeches the place down the onus for ukes pain from your perspective still falls on Nage. This suggests to me that your school seems to ignore Ukes responsibility for his own safety in the interaction between the two people.

As far as your Ki extension is concerned and your ability to be unaffected by joint locks is concerned I believe that a well executed sankyo for example rarely fails to work whether someone is or isnt extending Ki.As a point of interest why do you also avoid attacks to the chin and Rokkyo?Is this common practice within Ki orientated dojo?
I ask these points purely to glean info on how other groups see Aikido. Cheers, Joe