View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 06:16 PM   #86
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: BS in fellow aikidoka

Quote:
Rod Yabut wrote:
Great thread, great advice(s). I personally have a formula on dealing with not-so cooperative ukes. Some have been mentioned already, but if you do this, you get a feel if their intent is malicious or actually useful practice.
Isn't dealing with malicious intent "actually useful practice"? Or is it only "actually useful practice" to deal with a partner who cooperates with you?

Quote:
Rod Yabut wrote:
2) If they keep doing it, tell them this is movement practice (expecially for kokyunage), and not strength practice.
Shouldn't you be able to do kokyunage against a strong attack? One of the softest instructors I know always asked me to grab him as strongly as I could for kokyunage.

Quote:
Rod Yabut wrote:
3) ATEMI is a very good motivator. Even a heel on the top of his foot will bring him slightly forward for a good leading movement for kokyu.
No offense, but that sounds like another version of "I can't do the technique correctly, so I better try to use some kind of a trick". Why not just keep a blackjack in your dogi so that you can just smack them over the head when your techniques don't work?

Quote:
Rod Yabut wrote:
4) If he complains that that's not what you are doing...your response "we werent doing clamp holds either"
Tit for tat? That leaves you nowhere - just another form of complaining that you can't apply a technique because your partner isn't attacking you "correctly", IMO.

Best ,

Chris