View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Swords, the "real deal"

Hey, guys, since the other side of my life away from Aikido is firmly filled with sharp pointy objects called nihonto, I feel I should make an announcement that the Midwest Token Kai is this upcoming weekend, May 2-4, 2008, at the Shaumberg Marriott (basically Chicago). Tons of "real" Japanese swords on tables. Ranging from rusted, entry level old things to nearly priceless swords that are near flawless, often over 800 years old. I'll be there with a table with a few things on display. But I go mainly for the "side shows". I don't know the details yet of most of the displays, but I'm bringing a large number of cross sectioned antiques that I just finished etching and photographing for the show. My partner in my moderntosho.com project is doing some of the presentation on those and I've heard rumors of some nice ichimonji blades to be on display as well. They also tend to have martial arts demos at this show with the Kendo guys whacking each other really hard.

So if you're in that neighborhood, come on by and introduce yourself. I'd be happy to show anyone around the show and help you get the chance to look at some really nice swords if you're so inclined.

And if you want to see a cool example of the cross sections I'm bringing (showing various ways swords were constructed but also showing how "tired" blades look from the "inside out"), I'll attach a teaser image of a very interesting blade.

We always say that Aikido movements are based on the sword. We all have our bokken collections. Come on, admit it, how many of you have dreamed of getting a real one? Or at least seeing a few in person. There is a world of difference between the real deal and production swords most end up with. Come see some blades with history...

You can learn more in 1 minute holding a real nihonto in good polish than you will reading books and websites for the rest of the year... If for nothing else just to see a few really nice swords. And maybe even pick up a sword worth more than a luxury car...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sample14.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	481