Thread: What is "IT"?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #61
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: What is "IT"?

Quote:
Hunter Lonsberry wrote: View Post
I am an engineer by education as well as occupation. My understanding of engineering concepts has done little to further my progress of developing "it" nor recognizing when others possess "it".
What sort of engineering? It has aided mine. My background is in aerodynamics and architectural structure -- hands on applied rather than purely conceptual. My own design-built treehouse, fwiw, survived two direct hit Cat 3 hurricanes, the first of which topped or toppled fifteen mature trees in my yard -- so my structural and dynamic intuition is hardly idle. Shear mechanics, shifting moments and rotations and resonance are my background -- and are key focus of my observation and effort on these topics -- Their neuro-muscular relationship to spinal reflex arcs is a point I have only recently uncovered.

Quote:
Hunter Lonsberry wrote: View Post
A more productive discussion of what is it and what isn't would center around where we do see movement in uke/tori and where we don't, what it feels like etc rather than describing the mechanics.
I tend to agree but that is why I've done that. But why should we not seek to visualize the feel according to the proper mechanics ? These are concrete images for the structures of the body -- not equations -- images like multiple pendulums and complex harmonic motion, and Coulomb's arch of spheres in static funicular loading. http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/but-why...d-chains-2960/. Furitama is the resonance frequency of the human body -- not an idle concept to apply destructively. http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/but-why...ng-bones-3214/

Tenchi follows torsional shear stress arcs. http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/but-why...-dynamic-3259/ So do asagao forms of motion which convert shear stresses and displacements between different coordinate planes, a kind of precession of moments as well as rotations. I can receive compressive stress in one shear stress spiral and relieve it with stretching along the other shear stress spiral, and gain kuzushi without pushing back into or altering the compression connection. That is just Poisson ratio volumetric change in torsional shear with an adaptive control.

Now I know that these are all correct because I saw them operating intutively, worked to relate them conceptually to known mechanics and I apply them consistent with the mechanics I have identified. . I see people like Ark applying some of them, notably in his strikes, his postures and his destabilizations. I see people like Dan and Mike talking about things like windings and ground which are perfectly correct impressions of the things I am addressing.

It may or may not help you, but that does not mean it is not there.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.