View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #23
DH
United_States
Re: New interview with Christian Tissier Shihan (in English!)

Hi Chris
I'm in agreement with all of your points, but I think you are either missing one of mine or I failed at defining it.

Of course two of equal power can "pull off" a demonstration if they are both vested in making the waza look like the waza. Its why I mentioned differentiating between classic jujutsu, aikijujutsu, or any art where you "do" a waza, and then compare it to judo/ jujutsu or even push hands where you are only "vested" in working your stuff and winning over the other guy.
In that venue both would be trying to be fully -on.
So in a complete sense-there is no way someone with good structure, and with good power and experience in using it is going to attack a teacher and said teacher be able to pull off anything that looks like that demo-isn't gonna happen. The attacking power would be absorbed and changed to whatever degree (dependant on mutual skills), and the returning power would likewise be absorbed and/or changed dependant on skill. And this in a heartbeat. It would continue in a grappling sense interspersed with strikes or kicks till either someone was launched, drawn in and controlled or hit. But nowhere would you see clean Japanese style Ukemi IE attack, fly, attack, drop, attack, roll, wIth equal men.
Not that it is a critisism. Its an observation of what is being done thats all.
1.You are either vested in doing a waza together
2. Vested in trying out a training tool together
3. or you are in a contest.

I guess the main thrust of my point will be best examined and yaked about years from now when the guys training this way start hitting people like trucks, or tossing people off or downing them with ease while their own center is retained throughout. Either in attack or defense. I think at that point guys will have a different view of what all this martial art interplay really depends on and just what they- with their new skills- will NOT be offering to uke, and just how few-who dismissed this training will be capable of handling them in any substative way. Truly the level of cooperation for these guys-then- to do aikido will be such a bore as to be staggering. They will, by defualt, have to become teachers. Well, in the near future as these people change -everyone is going to shift and want to take ukemi for these guys anyway. Does that make more sense? Personally, I think it will be great for Aikido.

George's views are such a pleasure reading simply because he tries to be inclusive yet is very blunt about the community and its underlying defensiveness and sensitivity to being outclassed by juniors.I am more hopeful than that. I think many people are fundamentally honest and forthright. Many will feel it, and as the power is simply undeniable, they will want it. In time things are going to change. Of course there are absolute asses and passive agressives who will play out their personality issues all over their juniors-I have a list of names folks say should NEVER be allowed to learn this as they are currently abusers of students, but power is a VERY weird leveling device in the hands of good people. It puts asses where they belong. On their asses.
Now, since I am hopeful that many if not most in aikido will be able to handle it and are on the nice side of things-I think things will turn out alright. Hey, in the long run, Aikido may once again have some steak, instead of just fizzle, behind the sizzle.
What will be interesting to watch is how the organizational power shifts happen when midlevel just stop going to seminar of big shots who either have nothing or teach nothing. there were big shifts before, it may be interesting to watch.

Last edited by DH : 03-03-2008 at 12:04 PM.