View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #15
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: Realistic Training Part One: The OODA Loop

We use OODA a lot as part of our BJJ training. I often talk about getting inside the OODA loop. For example (apologies for those that are not familiar with the bjj terminology), On the progression from under/over control with hooks in ->double hook sweep->side control->far side armbar, you are pretty much orientating yourself to the armbar opportunity while the opponent is still thinking about (orientated to) the guard pass. IOW, it's a slightly complex but high value chain as for many opponents they never get re-orientated in time to Act in a way that's going to defend.
Same with the kimura from half guard - they are orientated to the guardpass while you are acting on the sub. Much of the success in sparring comes from getting inside your opponents OODA imo.

My BJJ coach John Will has an interesting theory that the D can be taken out of the loop. If you have a well trained "Immediate Action" for every "snapshot" you take during training there is very little decision making to be done. I think this corresponds nicely to theories of flow state or mushin.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"