View Single Post
Old 06-30-2015, 07:20 AM   #14
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori
Re: You are giving me the wrong energy...WTF

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Not if your partner insists on playing games. You won't get any improvement that way.

I should step back and say that where I've trained, in most cases the sensei wants you to try to do what she/he is teaching you. Indeed, some take a very dim view of improvisation. When you as uke decide that you want to cheat, use your knowledge of the technique that's about to happen and so thwart it, you put your partner in a very bad position. Your partner is expected to do a certain technique, and by your behavior you've just made that impossible, or at least not the optimal response. Your partner now has two bad choices: try to half-ass the technique that they're supposed to be doing, or do something that works better given your behavior and possibly annoy sensei. How does a good training partner force their partner into bad choices?

Others have said it and I will repeat: this is training. Arguments about "but but but if you were in the STREET" are invalid here. Sensei's perfectly entitled to insist that you do what's being taught. Surely complying with that is part of "leaving your ego at the door".
Rest assure, I am not a partner who plays games at the Dojo. Sensei would dismiss you at the click of his fingers. Sensei and I had a great 70 minute discussion this evening about this subject and some of the comments given to me.You would be surprised at his answers. Like Nage determines the Technique. Nage initiates the attack. He has no problems with my training attitude and commitment. He is also fully aware I peruse this site and open discussion.

Last edited by Riai Maori : 06-30-2015 at 07:25 AM.

Motto tsuyoku