View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #14
Lee Salzman
Re: Ballet and internal structure

Quote:
Kristoffer Sandven wrote: View Post
LOL

I'm not saying ballet will teach you all that. Of course not. And the goal is of course completely different. However, there might be some stuff in the body being trained by doing ballet that can be utilized if you start working on the IS. At least I wanted to explore the possibility. Obviously, there is no magic blue pill in this, so I'm looking forward to getting the hang of these Aunkai drills

Anyway, the was just mentioned as a not-so-serious thing. I always find it interesting to look at different things and see how they intersect.
Well, I know in one case it went in reverse, for one of my teachers. A dance troupe had actually contracted him to work with them, and they were quite taken with him. I think he said a couple of the longer performers had trouble with holding patterns of tension throughout their bodies, whereas some of the more mid-range performers did quite well on issues concerning relaxation. They had at least a body awareness that was a bit above the norm to start out with, which enabled them to get some things a bit more quickly, but were lacking in that actual feeling of force driving end to end through the body, IIRC.

So, yeah, identify the feeling, strengthen it over the long term, and impart it in everything you do; the exercises are there to help you get a hang of the feeling, rather than you getting a hang of the exercises. So if you got a taste of the idea from somewhere else, great, expand on it and work from there.