View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:53 PM   #663
DH
United_States
Re: The "Jo Trick" and Similar Exercises

Hi Gernot

The shapes really don't mean much in the overal sense. In the testing we were talking about locking the knees makes it much harder so it conveys a higher level of skill. But shapes for hands and such which you see in Aikido and Daito ryu can be fun but you need the body skills to back them up. Overall it is the inside that matters. In the fullness of time anyone pushing on you from any angle should feel instant ground and when and if you decide to deliver power you can do so expiditiously and without dedicating too much of...your intentions.
Then you have the hard-rubber heavy-body feel that they can't get in on.

I posted this in the one point thread but it helps explain more about your connection question. Ya need to go see Ark though and ask him or Rob for more hands on. FWIW its also a good primer for Koryu weapons. I cut through trees as test targets. Trust me when I tell you though- when you finally get there ot that stage of connection-many will still tell you its all muscle, Most folks just don't recognize the feel other than calling it power. Although those that do know, will spot it instantly.

cheers back at ya

About the cross or the back chest area Rob mentioned and the idea of a one point.
If you can imagine shoving a drive shraft or any pole into a hole in the floor then slide a peg through it horizontally. Next grab the peg as it sticks out left to right with both your hands.
Now
Imagine the hole you stuck the pole into is attached to an engine with 1000 ft. lb. of torque and I turn it on.
Now when you get out of hospital with your broken arms healed you can understand how powerful it can be if
1. the pole is your spine
2. the peg is tension held across the back and chest
3. and the engine is the ground through your legs through your hips that turn the spine or pole at the waist. Everything attached to it is launched without you dedicating much to the effort in a forward direction. It makes powerful kicks, punches, throws, and shoves without you giving much to lose or have someone take your balance. You are wholely dedicated without being dedicated.
The frame is strengthened through connections throughout the body which can be strengthened further still through breathing and pressures there. As well you are using the ground for power to launch. Of course it is the way you are connected and can create the power that moves through the whole body foot to hand

The above example can be quite effective in ground grappling for reversals when you are on your back with someone on you giving you weight and you hold tension in the cross and you turn using the ground from your feet through the hips and you turn the spine like a drive shaft .....which......... turns the peg (your scapula area). Whats attached to the peg? Your shoulders and arms.
I have seen guys lifted off the floor and thrown. The key is to not try to throw them but to maintain connection and just turn in yourself.
Breathing and certain other things add to this.

Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 07-11-2006 at 11:05 PM.