Thread: Atteru and Ki
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 01:40 AM   #9
David Yap
Malaysia
Re: Atteru and Ki

Thank you, Josh, for the kanji and the informative explanations.

Regarding "awase", I had this problem ...

In a dojo where I've trained in a few years ago, the instructor's favorite Japanese term was "awase" which he dispensed frequently in class. My understanding of "awase" in relation to martial art is that the Nage must blend with the attack (the aggressive action) and the Uke must blend with the Nage after realizing that his/her aggressive action has been defused/neutralized and there is no possibility of him/her to re-launch a second attack. The instructor's understanding was different from mine. He emphasized that both Nage and Uke must blend with each other at the onset -- similar to doing a waltz with a partner. He was teaching aikido as form of dance. In kata training it was helpful for the beginners as each attack was choreographed from the direction it should be launched right down to the footwork. But in jiyuwaza, I have had problems as I didn't know what techniques he was going to do. There were times when I was quick to regain my balance and he couldn't execute his technique in flowing manner or he just couldn't execute them at all and he ended up holding me on the mats as if we were about to start a waltz routine. It wasn't fun for me either as he punished me by pinching/squeezing my arms (while we stood on the mat) leaving nasty bruises there. To avoid such "punishment" I tried to fall at the moment of unbalance; it made him looked good with his techniques but the problem was that at times it wasn't his intention to throw me and I fouled up his routine and he thought that I intentionally do them to belittle him by giving him "charity" falls. So, I move on….

My next question is if the instructor was right that there should be "awase" between the nage and uke at the onset of the attack, what did I or he miss out in our practice?

David Y

Last edited by David Yap : 03-13-2006 at 01:42 AM.