View Single Post
Old 05-01-2003, 05:15 AM   #5
Col.Clink
Dojo: Waiuku Ki Society
GregH wrote: "With Aikido being a relatively new martial art, what accounts for the different styles/branches of Aikido. How did they come about? Which one, if any, most closely resembles the one originally practiced by O Sensei? Just curious on that matter. Thanks for your time."

Hi Greg,

I guess the different schools came about for a number of reasons, but the well known schools such as Aikikai, Yoshinkan, Tomiki, Ki no Kenkyukai, are there because of the student's ( Doshu, Shioda, Tomiki, Tohei) idea of what O'sensei was trying to show, or, what they perceived Aikido to be from their experience with O'Sensei. What he taught them and how they perceived that training through watching and learning.

Kind of like a bunch of engineers who all learn their craft at the same school. Each one will have a different perspective on their trade depending on when they were taught and how long they learn't it, and at what stage the professor had developed his knowledge.

But what is important? who is closest to the professor's technique that taught them? or who can actually build safe buildings that will stay standing and have some of the professors teachings and ideas about construction in the foundations? Bad Engineer's buildings will fall down,and hopefully not hurt too many.

Our challenge, is to find a good engineer, and learn the trade, to develope ourselves, not to mimick the professor, but let the trade become part of us and build on it, while in the process of not forgeting where this knowledge came from in the first place.

In the beginning all we can do is immitate, after that, it is all growing.

Mind you, that's just my view, and I know bugger all really.

cheers

Rob

"Excess leads to the path of Wisdom"