View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #383
iplan

Dojo: Aikido Academy of Self Defense
United_States
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Okay, here is how I see it:

If we agree that Aikido is a standing fighting system designed ideally to defeat multiple standing attackers.

and

If we agree that BJJ (Judo by another name) is a ground fighting system designed to defeat a single attacker on the ground,

then ~ and perhaps it has already been answered ~ I didn't read the entire thread ~

If I was fighting against a BJJ guy, I'd like to

a) refuse to go to the ground, and avoid the clinch or take down.

b) when the fight does go to the ground, and a skilled BJJ practitioner can get you there easier than you'd care to admit, it's always nice to have a friend standing by, who could come up and kick the BJJ guy in the back of the head and knock him out ~ as the BJJ practitioner is not really trained for multiple attacker scenarios.

c) Even when on the ground, all of the wrist locks still work ~ Nikkio works just as well standing as it does lying on your back ~ you just need a wrist.....

d) answer his BJJ with my own BJJ.

I believe that these two systems are complimentary. In fact, I think of BJJ as Aikido on the ground. They are both effective, and both have their place.

iplan

Last edited by iplan : 11-16-2013 at 12:52 PM.

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we're going to be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be." Kevin Higgins