View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #269
Rob Watson
United_States
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
However video clips can get us to start seeing what we are talking about. I feel like the word "Aiki" has been hijacked. All I'm asking is for you to describe and show what you mean by "Aiki" when you say it. I feel like I've done that on my side.
I wonder. Maybe forget about trying to define it and have them simply show the solo and partner drills used to establish a base upon which to build. If one is able to inspect the foundation and find it sound then the gables and spandrels really become irrelevant.

Ark has some on youtube and Mike has some on neijia. Dan has verbally described a little. If that is not enough to see the route to what they do (whatever the definition) then little else besides face time will help.

I like what Ellis Amdur has done ( amongst other stuff he has mentioned some of the basics on neijia - i'm not sure I'm supposed to share much more) and took it on the road. That his arts headmaster thinks it's important enough to work on really takes the cake, again. I don't want to be putting words in anyones mouths so read his postings yourself. Who cares what it's called - just show me how to do it!

All I've been able to do is confuse myself a whole bunch and that is just from a couple of 'simple' drills. I'll let others explain how much I suck.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.