Thread: Chinkon Kishin
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #46
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 5

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
It is interesting to note that many direct students of Ueshiba continued the Chikonkishin practices or Chikonkishin--LIKE practices. Also, many of them continued these practices devoid of Omoto Kyo religious influence. Even Tohei who criticized Ueshiba's often baffling means of communication kept, and transmitted, practices contained within Chikonkishin ritual. Ueshiba didn't push his religious views on his students and still these folks obviously thought that there was something there, in the ritual at least, to be had.
Well, in terms of "transmission", that's an extremely good point, Allen.
Quote:
(assuming that "Aiki" can be taught via Shinto Ritual.)
No, "Aiki" wouldn't be part of the strength training. It's more of a "how to use". You're hitting at the heart of the reason why I tend to separate kokyu/jin from ki/qi. It's also the reason why I object to Tohei's demonstration where he pushed over the sitting monks. They may well have had very strong ki/qi, but they would not necessarily have had the jin/kokyu-strength at all. "Aiki" is a method of blending your kokyu-strength/jin automatically (ki no musubi) with the incoming force of an opponent so that opponent's own force renders him harmless (force goes to zero)... then a technique is employed immediately.
Quote:
the question to my mind in relation to transmission and inheritance is "what happened to the toe hold?"
From this particular discussion about "transmission", I'm beginning to think that the bottleneck may have been the ritual-religious way that O-Sensei understood his own powers.

Good discussion.

Best.

Mike Sigman