View Single Post
Old 12-02-2001, 05:36 AM   #7
Edward
Thailand
Hello,

Even though this subject has been exhaustively discussed, please allow me to tell you my own experience. I started Judo when I was 17. My Dojo was quite famous and a regular winner at national level championships. Training was very competition-oriented. I was (and still am) quite weak physically and started up MA in order to learn self-defense. I practiced Judo for 7 years during which I could never win any championship. I was always looked down at by my fellow Judokas. I got very bad knees from kneeling Ippon Seoi Nage. I never felt comfortable at my Dojo, had a guilt feeling and was continuously very frustrated. Needless to say that we never received any self-defense training. I was never welcomed at other dojos because we were competitors.

I have been practicing Aikikai Aikido for a year now. The only competition that we have is about serving our Dojo and eachothers. I practice everywhere I go at my frequent travels. I am welcomed everywhere I go, no matter the style. I am sure I can practice until an old age. I think my position concerning competition is quite clear.

Thanks,