View Single Post
Old 04-06-2006, 03:52 PM   #13
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Is there a new fad "sword exercise?"

Quote:
Chris Guzik wrote:
Here is what it says:
Quote:
"Powerstrike Forza is Samurai Sword Training for the group fitness environment. Based on Kendo and Aikido sword training, this workout will inspire students at any level. The certification includes the day of training and practice, class format and four training videos to help you and your students' progress in the Powerstrike Format."
" Incorporating an ancient art form into a present day fitness format, Powerstrike Forza allows exercise enthusiasts of all levels to experience the strength and mysticism of working with swords. Powerstrike Inc. has created a custom weighted fitness sword designed to be used by health and fitness facilities around the world, making Powerstrike Forza accessible to everyone."
All's fair for fun and profit I suppose, but I take issue with anyone representing such a thing as "aikido" sword. I know Morihiro Saito Shihan (MHRIP) would have been appalled.

Mysticism ?!?!?!?!? Ye gods and little ducks!

Her name is Ilaria Montagnani. She claims no rank in aikido (thank God for small favors.) None of the "Master instructors" or trainers claims any aikido training, much less rank.

In the interview noted she says:
Quote:
"Instructor Ilaria Montagnani says, "To be able to control a weapon, to cut and guide it and especially stop the movement, you have to contract the muscle and develop control of your muscle." But Ilaria says that's not the only benefit. She says, "At the same time it's very meditative because you do the same movement over and over again."
So is runnning -- or typing for that matter.

Who taught this woman (if anyone)? Is she affiliated anywhere?

Cordially,
Erick Mead

Last edited by Erick Mead : 04-06-2006 at 03:58 PM.