View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #17
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands
Re: playing with weight and a question

Quote:
Hunter Lonsberry wrote: View Post
I did various exercises over the weekend and got some helpful feedback.

Now when lowering the body I have been trying to "sit" into the lowering. Mainly folding/bending the kua rather than trying to bear the load in the thighs. The gentleman who leads our practice group suggested doing more than just that, in an approach that made me think of a scissor jack.

Now I mentioned in one of my previous posts about pivoting from the ankle, but now its more like a chain of bends. I bend the ankle, then the knee, then the hip/kua area. Looking at the scissor jack, the top par is my shoulders, and the bottom is the ankle. My knees and hips go outwards. Doing it in this way, along with which muscles I use on the front and back of the legs leads to the fronts of the thighs not being engaged while doing standing or the various aunkai exercises.
That's funny. I recently started to do my squats like this. Instead of thinking of pushing my torso up and easing it down, I think of my hips moving back and forth (bending and straightening my body at the hips and knees). It feels like my thighs have to work less.

Last edited by Dave de Vos : 04-25-2011 at 05:07 PM.