View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 12:33 AM   #11
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: Freeform Bokken Drills to Develop Aiki Flow

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
No offense taken Ron,

I can appreciate your honesty. I too am a fan of unified motion training. Been training it for 35 adult years in Tai Chi, Hsing-I, Chi Gung, Judo, Jujitsu and Aikijujitsu. I have accomplished amazing things with it. But you can lose it in an instant and it can also degrade over time from ligament and tendon tightness- especially in the shoulders and in the pelvic girdle.

When you buy me that lunch, I will show you how you can take it from an opponent during execution of technique.

Any thoughts how to set up my specific training objectives in this drill without losing the unpredictable element or reverting back into basic sword randori where the "clench" between swords is few and far between?
Gotcha, and I'll be true to my word

I haven't gotten up in age their like some of you guys, so who knows ^^;

That being said, there is an exercise you might want to consider as an extension to this training.

Take a 6foot staff, or longer (hard wood, with some flex, make sure its sturdy, no chinese wax wood).
Person A holds one end while Person B holds the other end.
Now both persons attempt to effect kuzushi on the other through the stick. (One person tries to throw down the other) You're free to pretty much use any means at all.
But basically if you screw up and start using disjointed means of manipulating the staff, you'll get thrown by the guy that's heavier or more powerful than yourself.

The stick basically helps to take out any "slack" from the body, if you want to manipulate it properly.

In the beginning it can turn into a wrestling match with lots of nasty blisters, bumps and scrapes, but body connection usage should become readily apparent, since it's the only way to control the guy on the other end of the stick.

Take the same feelings/skills and apply it to the sword drill, or empty hands for that matter.